A mythical district made famous in the Roaring Twenties...
In between the two World Wars, Montparnasse was popular with famous writers and artists such as Cocteau, Brassaï, Man Ray, Modigliani, Hemingway, Miller and Fitzgerald who regularly frequented the cafes, brasseries and cabarets in the area.
Montparnasse has managed to conserve this "bohemian" ambiance and is like a small village within the town.
THEATRES IN RUE DE LA GAITE :
- Gaîté-Montparnasse Theatre
- Montparnasse and Le Petit Montparnasse Theatre
- Bobino Theatre
- Comédie Italienne
- Rive Gauche Theatre
PARKS AND GARDENS IN MONTPARNASSE :
- Montsouris Park
- Jardin Atlantique
- Jardin du Luxembourg
MUST-SESS IN MONTPARNASSE :
- Montparnasse Tower offering a panoramic view over the capital
- Montparnasse Cemetary where several famous people are buried : Baudelaire, Maupassant, Sartre, Gainsbourg...
- Catacombes, a maze of underground passages and a huge ossuary
- Museums such as Jean Moulin Museum, Bourdelle Museum, Montparnasse Museum